Friday, June 19, 2009

Brand New Day

Hey people. It's Fav Music Fri again- can you believe it? Wow this week went fast. Summer is slipping through our fingers people. Be sure to grab a few handfuls before it's gone!

Today's pick is one of my all time favorite songs, an anthem really, about starting over. Suddenly many friends seem to find themselves in this position, some just entering new phases, others literally picking up the pieces and starting all over. Happily my life hasn't blown-up, but the words, "No I won't be scared-- I won't be destroyed" are always sort of playing in my background, making me feel like I could face anything if I had to.

Enjoy The Eurythmic's "Brand New Day". Give it a watch, then listen again with your eyes closed. I promise you'll feel like a warrior.


Edit to add: Funny, it's "I won't be SAD" I guess. I like scared better. Whatever resonates for you right?

In other SueNews:

Thanks to all the friends who weighed in on the last post- the part about staying true to your vision even when the market seems to not be responding. Each of you gave me a boost. One smart pal said, "Uh, yeah, follow your heart and all that, yeah yeah yeah, but also-- quit being so lame about your art blog!" She advised me to get out there, let people know what I'm up to, that I'm still over here doing art. So yesterday I put up a NEW POST and within the hour got mega hits and a few good leads. Some people just emailed saying-- "Hey, cool!" which is always, well, cool! So thanks pal. (You know who you are. ;) )

I have a plan in place for getting work over to Door County-- well, as far as my work goes-- what all I'm making etc. Reservations? I'll deal with that when I have a firm date. The welding mojo is working great, and I have tons of ideas. It would be nice if it wasn't so sticky, but, whateves. Get out a fan right?

In the following your heart department-- I have a chance to make a sculpture for the bike trail (they asked). It would be a freebie, but I do love it over there, and it would get seen by a lot of people and hopefully appreciated. Sometimes that can be almost as gratifying as, er... actual money to us art types. Plus-- it would give me a chance to make something completely from my head. You never know. It could wind-up getting me a job or two too. High exposure etc.

Considering the place is basically a thrill ride, a heavily wooded thrill ride through the dirt populated by adrenaline junkies, this is kind of the vibe I'll be going for:



This is an album cover. The actual design is similar in vibe-- it's not this exactly. I'd want it done by the end of July. Wait-- didn't I just get done saying I have tons of stuff to get done for Door County, plus new commissions, and three shows this fall? (Okay technically, no, I didn't actually say all that, but it is true.) Oh well. (shrugs)

Stranger things have happened. I can sometimes do amazing things on a deadline. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Lynn Fisher said...

Yes, your ability to pull a show completely out of...no where (notice that I sweetened that up) continues to amaze me. Keep on keep'n on Oh gifted one!
Hey, you're new profile pic reminds me of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF for some reason...you could caption it..."my best method for good night's rest? Every night I have a warm glass of gin and cry into a cracked mirror."
Not that you do...Must just be me.

Mary Olson said...

Thanks for posting "Brand New Day". I really needed that. Sad...fearful...I'm working on not being either.

I think it's wonderful that they've asked you to do a sculpture at the bike trail. I think that could be some good exposure. I mean, all the cool people go there and they will love your stuff and spread the word of your awesomeness throughout the land.

And thank goodness for friend wisdom. And very wise of you to listen. Glad you got such good response.

Have a good weekend!

Unknown said...

Lynn--
Thanks hon. Yeah, one of my best shows was pulled together in 3 weeks. I had tons of large pieces. The gallery owner couldn't believe it.
Hmm, the gin, crying, fixating on the mirror-- yeah, doesn't really work for me. :)

Mary--
SO glad you checked in bb. This song is esp for you! Thanks!

JKB said...

Amazing. :))))))

I love your new pic. Very very Audrey!

XOXO