Okay. Sorry. Just kidding. Any excuse will do, really, to work him in. In all seriousness, V-day is coming up, and I do have a few thoughts. Lot's of women buy into the whole grand gestures deal, thinking if a guy comes up with flowers, or jewelry, etc it means he super lurves you. The Valentines Day industry is built on this myth. Maybe it means that, maybe not.I know a few guys who are good at gifts etc, coming up with ideas all on their own, because they are thoughtful, and into their women, and they get it. (These men are all taken of course.) I've also known plenty who are good at that kind of stuff, because they get it too-- in a manipulative bastard-y way, or, just as pukey-- a showboat-y "look what an awesome guy I am" way.
So don't let the whole gifty, window dressing thing be the deciding factor. It's a plus, but it's not necessarily an indicator of "love." Sometimes, the guy who sucks at gifts & special occasions, but scrapes off your windshield on a random Thurs, and is super reliable, is the keeper.
Men and women are wired differently (if you haven't figured it out yet.) Let me crack the code for you. (There will always be gals who like interestingly damaged men, and guys who are into infantilized women who can't think their way out of a paper bag, but assuming everyone here falls somewhere on the pretty normal spectrum...)
Women want to feel so desirable, that they are worth almost any amount of trouble. This is why they really get into things where the guy shows he's gone to some kind of effort-- like planning ahead. They also like to feel they drive the guy so out of his gord, it ignites his baser male instincts. Which is why they like when he actually decides stuff all on his own, like what restaurant to go to. (rawr)
Men like to feel virile and indispensable. They like when they do things-- like fix stuff or make themselves useful-- and we notice. It might be somewhat expected that they do certain things, but it doesn't hurt anything to show a little gratitude. They do, after all, come in handy.
(I had a joke here about them liking it when we make a big deal about their muscles etc, but some random guy hanging out in my living room, whose name isn't Dan or anything, totally rolled his eyes.) I had a hard time pinning him down on exactly what guys like about how we behave towards them-- something besides how we look. Guys are so visual it's scary.
Finally we settled on -- when we show them any signs of being "into it", or "into them", they like it. (RAWR)
People-- like to feel like they are smart, and funny, and cool-- that they're loved, and liked too. They want to feel connected, and safe-- like there's a level of trust & intimacy in their significant relationship that sets it apart from all their other social interactions. Everyone likes to feel like they matter, that they are heard, and cared about. (purr)
Just food for thought. :) I'd love to hear what you guys/gals think about this. Weigh in.
This song has basically nothing to do with romantic love. It's purely about getting it on. Enjoy. Here's hoping everyone gets lucky this weekend. :)
10 comments:
Couldn't even stand to watch the video. Know I won't be gettin none. Ugly week divorce wise. Putting the final nails in the coffin and watching the attorney bills go to an unbelievable level. Yuck!
Women wish to be loved not because they are pretty, or good, or well bred, or graceful, or intelligent, but because they are themselves.
Henri Frederic Amiel
I guess this says it better than I could. I am a sucker for Valentine's Day tho.
I've always subscribed to the Bryan Adam's song, "Have You REALLY Ever Loved a Woman?" It's all the things that (some) men should say, but don't/won't because on some level, (some) men feel it emasculates them. Yet, the irony is that if they did these things, they'd get so much MORE of what THEY want. Too frustrating. Hence, my checking-out-ness in all areas of romance FOR-FUCKING-EVER. Thanks for allowing me to vent my vile bitterness on this most wretched of wretched "holidays." Peace out.
You are so smart!!!!
And I agree with you. So I guess that makes me smart too?
You know Dave Grohl just had a birthday, right?
Wow ladies. Sorry. : /
Heidi--
No I didn't! We've lost touch since he broke-up with me over me always *winning* at ping-pong. ~sighs~
Good to hear from you kiddo. :)
guys need to learn, the gift giving thing isn't hard if you're smart and LISTEN. women (unlike men) always talk about the things they like and it's easy to follow-through. my wife sees earrings she likes in a catalog, i buy them and hold them until the next occasion.
this is another thing, frequency. if you are thoughtful year-round you don't have to be frantic about holidays. my wife told me last night "absolutely no valentine's gifts. at. all." in a tone that suggested i'd be in the doghouse for a good while if i did. why? because i got her some earrings for groundhog day (an anniversary of ours) and because i bought her some books after she had foot surgery last month. and because i took her out to a surprise lunch in the middle of her work day the month before that. we both realize that doing these little things are WAY much better than trying to heap it all onto a single "special" day manufactured by a greeting card company.
sorry to hijack there. just wanted to pay you a reciprocal visit and couldn't help myself. cheers!
Thanks David!
I was really hoping a guy would weigh-in.
Thanks for further proving the "good ones are all taken" thing. :)
Very good points. I know two guys like you, and their women are v happy.
I think the idea of keeping both people feeling happy and loved, as much of the time as possible, is a self-perpetuating cycle that's really healthy.
I'm laughing so hard...this conversation really went all over the place didn't Sue!!? Says woman who crawled out of a bad place and dusted herself off...a little.
Lynn-
Yeah, little did I know I'd need a foxhole!
Post a Comment