Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic fever

Hey people. I'm going to take a ton of crap for this because almost every woman I know is actually into this aspect of the Olympics, but-- I'm sorry-- ice dancing just makes me want to puke.

Yes, I get that they're in super shape, train like crazy, sacrifice anything resembling a normal life to pursue their "sport", but, come on.

I'm pretty sure even Sir Elton John is going, "Seriously?" I've been trying to think of ways they could, I don't know-- jazz it up a little. Put a little lipstick on this pig. Perhaps have them skate through clouds of balloons? --Or have "back-up skaters", you know, like Lady Gaga has?

I'm sorry. Dancing with the stars, performed on ice, may take athleticism, and skill, but good fricking lord! Does it HAVE to be so completely effing freakish? I'm pretty sure if My Little Ponies were actual living beings, they'd somehow be herded onto the rink and included in this fiasco.

Best line ever (from a twitter pal) -- "I get to put my hand there all the time, without having to suffer the humiliation of being a male figure skater." *win*

Bitch please. What more is there to say?

This gem is from The Onion. Be sure to click to enlarge so you can navigate the complete course.

Personally, I think there should be an event that involves assembling an entire Ikea six drawer dresser in the freezing cold while onlookers mercilessly clang cowbells at you.


Should be a snap.

In all seriousness, look for "saucer running" in the next winter games. And perhaps pix/vid when I get my camera back from the repair shop this week.

I also think wood sled surfing behind an ATV would be a great addition to the games.

What imaginary sport would you invent?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a camera nice enough that it would be cost effective to take to the shop. :)

The only Olympics I'm really interested in is the Ice Hockey. Big surprise, huh?

Like you captions to those pictures. :)

Unknown said...

Struggling-
Ha! This was $$ for me-- but less than a $200 camera. Only reason it was in the shop, is it is still under full warranty (practically brand new).
I love watching the downhill stuff, and boarding the most.

Maery Rose said...

I used to like the figure skating when I was a kid. Maybe I've become too jaded but it just seems sadly weird. It's kind of like those little girls they put in beauty pageants. Creepy.

Unknown said...

Maery-
Exactly. The event bugs me, but it bugs me even worse that some many women are into it. Like they can't overcome their poofy dress, pink birthday cake programming. Blech.

Bill Cameron said...

Whatever sport I invent would surely involve ballistic bean beans, a swarm of something pointy, and that laser-spraying robot from the original Logan's Run movie.

Anonymous said...

darn it...I love it...and poofy dresses and birthday cake, how'd I miss those?

Alex Bledsoe said...

Had this argument with my wife. It's NOT A SPORT if the outcome isn't decided by the participants. Imagine if football games were decided by a panel of judges, especially judges that had never actually played the game.

Unknown said...

Lynn-
You're really letting down team chick. : / (just giving you crap)

Alex-
Yeah! That's a great point. There is WAY too much emphasis on the artistic/performance aspect. Good freaking lord, their outfits are just SO "Blades of Glory."