"Guess what I'm doing today."
"Uh, welding?"
"Nope. Skipping. I'm on my way to IKEA and The Mall. I could easily stop by your work and pick you up...."
~long seconds of silence~
"Give me ten minutes."
Yay! It was ON! IKEA has, among its many wonders, lingonberry soda. Yum.
The Mall has, among its many wonders, Auntie Anne's pretzel sticks. Pam went for the regular, while I got my usual-- cinnamon.
The superiority of my pretzel sticks is irrefutable. Sugar + cinnamon, on warm chewy bread. I'm drooling just typing this.
Back to IKEA-- we had a lot of fun wandering around in all the room and apartment settings. When I saw this giant pile of dead cows I was super grossed-out. Pam comes from a long line of savage hunters and was, as almost always, non-plussed. She was happy to pose with them, not quite understanding I was hoping for a more repulsive pose. A second later I asked her to roll around on them. She obliged. (Sometimes being my friend is a lot of work.) My camera fuzzed-out though so that shot was ruined. But way to be a good sport Pam! (and way to make cow skins look fashionable!)
One of the stops at The Mall we made was DSW, aka shoe mecca. Check these cat woman boots. I can't look at them without making a big "re-owwww" cat screech in my head and cracking a bull whip.
I'd never heard that before, but I guess these would be the eff-me's? I'm sometimes drawn to stuff like this the way your brain just fires off-- "OOOOO pretty!" without any practical thought at all.
Even if I could ever become that skinny and elongated and fashionable, it would still just be regular old dorky me tottering around on my glamorous stork legs. I've complained about my legs (and other various parts), to Pam's irritation, ever since she's known me. It's an annoying habit, running yourself down. Also not so good for your energy/attitude. She often gruffly reminds me, "Well, our legs may not be much to look at, but they get us around, and we can do a lot of stuff a lot of other people our age can't with them. So there."
Pam often makes such plucky statements. If you ever had to hit the road, like some depression era dames, roughing it and making your way in the cold cruel world, she'd be good to have along.
She's right of course. I'd take my legs over that model's legs any day, as long as they keep allowing me to have as much fun as I do on them. So forget high heels. These are what do the job for me and my life.
What about you guys? Do you have any secret fashion fetishes? Do you sometimes wish you were more glam? or more sporty? Is there a difference between the shoes of your dreams and the shoes of your actual life?I used to think "when I grew-up" I'd shop at Anne Taylor. Somehow at 45, they STILL seem too grown-up for me. I have a hard time being comfortable in anything other than "play clothes" it seems. You??












11 comments:
I don't have any secret fashion fetishes that I can think of at the top of my head but OMG! I wish I lived near you. I would demand to go on a skip day with you. It sounds fabulous. And every one needs to have one, now and then!!!
Also your mall seems way more awesome than the one in my area. *jealous*
Courtney--
You wouldn't need to demand it because I'd basically kidnap you. ;D
It is. It even has an amusement park inside it, like with a roller coaster and everything! It has an appropriately gross consumerism name-- The Mall Of America (caaa caa ca).
I ALWAYS wanted to wear Stevie Nicks-like flowing gypsy skirts with twirling, gauzy scarves (Sounds weirdly like a magician as I describe it. Wish you could see the pic in my head!!) However, the long, flowing fabric on a person who is, shall we say less than statuesque (e.g. looks like a thumb)gives the appearance of a little girl who has raided her BIG MAMMA'S closet. [Sigh.] So I stick to Keebler Elf fashions and leave the elegance to those willowy creatures whose legs don't look like tiny Vienna sausages.
Footwear. When I was growing up (and on my parent's dime) I was all about Nike shoes. Now that I buy my own stuff, I'm more of a Converse guy. Got a great pair of Converse for 29.99 the other day. Love them.
Anyhow, that sounds like a good day. And the Auntie Ann's? *drool* I think those pretzels are the one reason I still go to the mall.
Oh when Elizabeth Hurley wore that dress held together by safety pins years ago I was so jealous. If a safety pin comes near my body I run in case it pokes me and my body explodes all over the house. I have always lived by the words, eat, drink and be merry but seeing all those long slim boots makes me think I need the models diet - just a glass of water and oh a toothpick in case I left anything behind from the last meal!
Tink-
ROFL--"vienna sausages"! ~snort~
And you do not look like a thumb! But you do look like Kristin Chenoweth, who does kind of look like an elf... ;D
Struggling-
I know! If Auntie Anne's lived in my town I'd weigh 300 lbs. Thank God the store is an hour from my house! I luv Con's too. <3!
Kim--
Hahaha! I remember that dress! I don't think many of us could pull that off. Heck with the toothpick diet, just take up mountain biking! ;)
I'm always jealous of women who can wear those spike heels. I have never found a pair that isn't excruciatingly painful. I'd also probably lose my balance and break an ankle. I've resigned myself to sensible shoes but I could totally go for the last couple boots you show.
Maery-
Yes! Also, when I look at meself in them from the knees down I'm all-- "oh yeah-- I'm working it..." and when I see full length me it becomes, "Oh crap-- I'm dorking-out, again."
#glamorfail
I love the shoe thing, but can't tollerate how uncomfortable they are. I still try them on and walk around a little. I have some boots that I feel really huge (as in hot and tough and cool) in. Bellydancing is very fun in the dress-up department. A little stevie nicks-ish with actual dancing, too!
Post a Comment