Monday, November 16, 2009

Scattering Sue

Hey people. This week I'm tying up loose ends with the art stuff-- packing things up for galleries, seeing if I'll need to cram in another production week. I hope not at this point. I'm pretty fried. I have a weird repair weld/engineering job to do for another artist tomorrow, helping to shore-up a crumbling sculpture she has going. I'm going to try to talk her into starting over first. It sounds like one of those putting your finger in the dyke projects where it will just continue to break along whatever new weak point is created by the repair. The initial structure wasn't made strong enough to support its weight. Hmmm. Metaphorical huh?

I'm all jumbled today. I have to get organized for gallery deliveries, but all I really want to do right now is grab the hard rake and go into the woods and fart around in my streams, unclog little dams that have built-up etc-- play in the woods and the mud and water.

I'm riding later, first with Dangergirljr and then with Tpam. Yesterday we rode and it kicked my total ass. I was totally spent 3/4 of the way through, had no energy, couldn't breath right, rode like crap and felt like I was having a heart attack or something. So weird. Am hoping today I'm more back to normal. Sometimes I wonder if I've really screwed-up my lungs from breathing all the metal dust etc in my shop, but then I tell myself to just keep doing stuff I like, that your cells keep regenerating anyway. You're probably better off if you just go along like you are healthy and stay out of the medical system if you can help it.

There is some fun stuff I have planned with friends and family in the next few weeks, and I'm both anxious and nervous to get back at my writing. I'm having the capped hydrant feeling with the story ideas, but it feels pretty chaotic and will probably take writing a ton of crap to begin making heads or tails of it and getting anything decent out.

Also I've been thinking about other ways to get some income going. I have the art thing, but no one's paying me to write so far, and the art wipes me out physically. I can't go at it full time all the time. It would be nice to find some other side thing. I've been tossing ideas around. Like I said, feeling kind of scattered today, but that's just my process I guess.

Any of you guys have any ideas? What do you fantasize about being able to make $ at?

11 comments:

Linda Thiltgen said...

I fantasize about it all the time...especially while lying in bed and it keeps me from sleeping. I think I have good ideas, but then never find the energy or the means to make them happen. I keep thinking I need a session with a SCORE counselor again. When I meet a road block, it totally derails me...like the surface design thing. I sometimes feel like I am all talk and no action. :/ I like the ETSY thing, but trying to get noticed in the vast sea of artists can be tough...but I think it's a valuable option. See you soon. New day, new possibilities.

Heidi Willis said...

I fantasize about getting paid to do the dishes I seem to be washing 24/7, and folding the laundry, and dusting...

Not doing that stuff at other people's houses, though. It's bad enough I have to do it at mine!

It's hard for us creative folks to find something we love that also pays. I'm glad at least your art is going well!

Anonymous said...

I think the whole idea of having to go to a job every day and live life on somebody's else's schedule is so stupid. How much of my life is wasted doing that, you know? That's the way it is, though. Have to eat and pay for a place to live.

I would love to be able to write for a living. To have a little writing shack somewhere I could escape to to just be creative. That would be nice.

Unknown said...

Linda-
I know exactly what you mean. I've thought about an ETSY store or an online store of some kind, but then when I ask myself- "Do I really want to make thousands of necklaces or whatever?" No. Having a topical blog that actually drew a big enough readership to attract advertisers would be right up my alley, but somehow "Sue's cult of personality" doesn't sound like a winner.

Heidi-
You mean to tell me those things are reward enough in and of themselves?? (barfs) My sister wants me to help her organize her place when I go visit her. Anyone who seen mine is now peeing themselves.

Struggling-
I think even if my publishing dream comes true, I'll still be striving for a balance and juggling about 3 creative endeavors, because none of them will probably pay enough on their own. But you're right-- beats the hell out of working for the man. Hang in there bud.

Unknown said...

Heidi--
Oops-- I meant "aren't"-- that was supposed to be sarcasm-- I KNOW you are not a fembot!

Maery Rose said...

I'd like to make a living off of freelancing. I'd even do some business/technical writing to stay afloat. But then, I might as well stay where I'm at. How about standup comedy? I fantasize about that sometimes. My life gives me plenty of material. I think you could write for magazines but that's not a big money maker either.

Unknown said...

Maery-
I don't need a big money maker-- (haha, sounds like big butt somehow) but just, you know, PAPER money...

Anonymous said...

I fantasize about getting more opportunities to write copy for art supply companies...now that was fun, and profitable. To bad that is something that is few and far between though. Then I'm back to just writing articles that don't pay well, but I'm finding that if I keep pitching the people I love or respect as artists to the magazine, and I get to write about them...that's the best! That's the big pay off. It makes me happy to acknowledge someone elses good work.

katie said...

I think "working for the man" is ok as long as it's somehow rewarding and still leaves you with energy at the end of the day for other things. When I used to teach, I had some good years like that. Now I just eat bon bons and watch tv (not really). If I was driven, I'd look into opening a bakery or some other business. I'm just happy with what it is right now, so don't want to change that.

Heidi Yantzi said...

I'm so frustrated because I put three years of study to become a riding instructor, now I finally have my horses with me, and I have no students!! I have no income!!!

And yeah, nobody's paying me to write. Making that happen is not guaranteed but I keep hoping. I want to write, spending several hours a day at it, then teach at least five lessons a week. Also I want my man to have his recording studio in a big shed with red siding. That would be cool.

We'll see.

Unknown said...

Lynn-
You are a great example of how tenacity can pay off. You've continuously gone after writing jobs that interest you and now have been getting more and more of them. Awesome!

Katie--
So true. Even a kind of crappy job can be okay of the people are fun and you have a life outside work. I guess we choose to be happy or not regardless of the circumstances. Good point!

Heidi--
I can't believe you have no students! Who wouldn't want their kid to hang out and learn from you??! You are the sweetest, coolest, and are super knowledgeable too. Grrr. In this economy I can see how some things (horse lessons, art) are a harder sell. Maybe it's your marketing. Let your Heidi-ness shine through. I can't believe it wouldn't attract people like a beacon!