Speaking of-- I'm giving Pam a point for this...
She figured out the first rule of riding berms- don't ride off the top of them. This is the gnarliest bruise I've ever seen on a mammal- or anything really. She got dirt on her helmet too but was luckily okay.Remember when this--
Turned into this? --
Back then the mere thought of falling off my bike, like, onto the ground was totally horrifying. I remember asking Cooltrailbossrich about injuries once, before I got a bike, and he was like, "Yeah, I usually break a bone a year," then listed a bunch of his former wounds-- "collar bone a bunch of times, once my whole leg fell off, decapitated once, etc etc" (okay, that might be exaggerated a little, but I was like-- gasp!) My road bike feels lots taller and I still don't like the idea of falling off either bike, but having disembarked a bunch of times now... I don't know. It's weird. One second you're whizzing along, the next you're on the ground-- boom. Then half a second later you're scrambling back up and possibly grabbing your knee or girlnads or whatever hurts but within seconds you're going, "No, I'm okay," then you're back up and riding again and usually it really is no big deal.
I'm always trying to convince people to try this (mountain biking), but the risk is a major deterrent. Last week when I went in to have my knee checked-out Young Doctor Handsome was rather appalled at my skinned-up, bruised knee. He goes, "This is a pretty bad looking injury." I was like, "Really? This is kind of nothing. I'm just here to see if it will mess anything up if I go ride in a couple hours." He looked at me weird. I just grinned and secretly thought he was probably kind of a wuss.
He said he'd bought a mountain bike from his friend but he's been afraid to go ride it because of the injury potential. It's hard to explain to people who haven't done it. Falling comes with the territory sure, but if you're careful you can minimize the risk. Usually it's no big deal, kind of like when you fell down doing stuff when you were a kid. Fear of falling is worse than the actual spill.
Anyway-- Thanks universe, for giving me another great week of riding weather. I'm considering trying it in the snow this winter, on only the super easy part. We'll see.
As for the rest of the week-- riding and spending time with family and friends I've blown-off for months will be the mode. Really psyched!!
Is there anything you do that you love, and is hard to explain to those around you?
7 comments:
Enjoy the weather! I get some of the same reactions when I've been hurt by a horse. You're supposed to stop taking risks with your body by my age cuz falling usually does end up to be a big deal. But horses haven't cause my most recent damage, I think the vacuum cleaner is what screwed up my shoulder. I'd gladly give it up!
I know, you are "supposed to" aren't you? In the last couple years I've kind of gone, "Screw it-- I'm not dead YET." I'm not saying people should go out and injur themselves, but- if you play it too safe you're going to miss half the fun.
Sleeping in to nine would be a dream.
I bet it feels amazing to not have to stress and not have a deadline. Good for you!
That's a gnarly bruise. The only time I had anything like that was when for my friend's bachelor party we went skeet shooting with shotguns. It was a pretty long course and my shoulder looked like that picture. It didn't really hurt that much, though.
"if you play it too safe you're going to miss half the fun." :)
Oh Struggling-- I know. I wasn't trying to rub it in honest. *Someday* you too, will know the bliss of a full eight + hours of sleep. Hang in there. :)
I've only shot a gun once or twice (skeet too-- sucked at it). Whatever it was they gave me didn't have that much of a kick I guess, and I only shot it like, twice. My Dad is going to show me how to shoot a pistol soon though. Look out perps! (kidding)
Wise words from Grandpa:
"Don't die wondering." (you have to say it like you're telling a bunch of kids to get off your damn lawn!)
Rich-
LOVE "Don't die wondering." Totally words to LIVE by-- so true!
man, that Pam will do anything to show off her great legs online! Way to go, Pam.
Post a Comment