Now for Weird Wed. Remember my trip to Texas? The flatness? The sisterness? Here's some more stuff from my trip.
There is exactly one store down there (that we found) that has the kind of funky old stuff from Mexico you'd hope to find. Stuff like this awesome metal bird.
And this super cool old hand-painted cabinet. If I'd had a few grand and trailer, my whole house would be full of this stuff right now, but alas. I was limited to just looking.
But I wouldn't come away empty handed. Way back in a corner was a rack of the strangest collection of postcards I've ever seen. Some were based on Mexican bingo like these, and to be expected.
But then when I swiveled the rack I saw I had stumbled upon some really primo disurbia-- Down there people just don't get weird, don't DO weird, not intentionally. Axman would never exist down there. The only weirdness you run into is stuff like the neon flocked Christmas trees, that sadly some people think are "pretty."
I was so pumped-- behold! (you may have to click on pics to fully appreciate the bizarreness) : Prom queen laying on king sized bed of grapefruits! Next to--Giant American Flag! Flanked by - (As sis called it)-- Hot, slutty dancer wasting her efforts on clearly gay guy. And-- Some kind of skeleton apocalypse. Awesome combo, whoever arranged this!

Next we have-- Young Sean Connery reflecting on his career. Some woman trying to brainwash her child into thinking domesticity is *fulfilling*, and the future baddest-ass in his nursing home. (Give it 60 years or so...)

Wow-- those angels are total pervs. Reverse divine pedophilia? A tribute to coffee and doughnuts, and er... spoons. And for some reason-- a blood sport. 10 points of you can find any relationship at all. Bueller?

Just to remind you we're like, 20 miles form the border-- some Jesus-y stuff! (or as I keep pointing out-- It could just be some random hippy-- How do we know?) In the first one he's being fawned over by Mary (I guess) and probably his common law wife, Mary M, who he turned into a fairy, while smart alecky people like me roast in hell! (Enjoy this tableau while you can judgey pious people. I'll be annoying you well into the after-life too, from the comfort of my pimped-out cloud.)
Don't ask me what the hand is about, but there are disembodied, winged heads hovering around it. On the bottom are the Rat Pack, and of course, Poker Playing Dogs. Naturally.

Claudia Shiffer making-out with Elvis. Sis's hubs making her pick up Lego's, in the fifties (This is like an excerpt from the kind of erotic dream he'd have. Sad huh?). "Save the date Mexico"?? Some lady who has locked her kid inside a toy box and is patiently waiting for her manhattan.
The most awesome postcard ever-- if you write kid's books. I actually turned this into my Twitter avatar for now. Look at the look on the kid's face--- this is how I fantasize my writing will be someday, (but make the kid about 15)--- underground (to parents), mesmerizing (to kids), and deliciously subversive. LOVE.
Rock on peeps. Stay weird. Remember, always taking submissions.
7 comments:
Awesome as always Sue, flame on!
The look on the "kids-book girl's face" looks to me as though she started it on fire...
Going for the 10 points here;
I believe the three postcards show the progression of the average man's life. You start your life feeding from mother's bosom, then you get old enough to leave, then you get a job and have coffee and doughnuts everyday with your coworkers, then during a midlife crisis you take up some sort of extreme activity to "prove" that you're not getting old. Tell me I'm wrong. ;)
10 points?
Seriously, weird collection there.
Whoa. Those are, uh, different.
But is Texas weirdness really "unexpected"? I mean, I was born & raised there, and I have to say, this isn't exactly surprising to me. ;)
Lynn-
You know it bb.
Rich-
Wow- pretty deep. So far you get the ten.
Linda-
I guess where I've been down there (the valley)there's just less delight/humor found in the weird. Things may be weird, but no one ever thinks it's funny except me and my sister.
You are a historian of the weird. Love it.
Those postcards and your descriptions are great.
Disturbing.
WHEEEE!
I'm speechless... (Note there is word verification here. They finally got to you... hehe)
Post a Comment