Hey people. Welcome back to Fav Music Fri. Below is a trailer for a vid I rented a couple weeks ago- a documentary about the creative journeys of U2's Edge, Jack White (kaBLAM- head explodes), and rock legend Jimmy Page (Led Zep).
Check it out-- the opening sequence (where Jack MAKES a guitar out of a board, a couple of nails, and an old coke bottle, then plays it with a socket) alone is worth the price of admission.
I'm curious to hear how people who aren't really that into rock receive this. If anyone checks it out-- get back and comment. I found it fascinating- learning about how the different sounds are produced and the ways these guys think about music.
The coolest thing of all though, was seeing how they have really allowed their creativity and passion rule their lives, and determine the paths they took. I was especially delighted by Jimmy Page.
You think of aging rockers as being kind of road worn and tattered from having lived a very hard life of drugs etc, but he didn't give off that at all. He seemed very happy, and the joy he still takes in playing and listening to music is obvious. He kind of radiated joy. Awesome!
Anyway, I really recommend this documentary. It totally sparked me to get going on my own creative stuff.
Speaking of...
In other SUE NEWS:
I'm over 12k (words) in on my new project-- a novel about a girl who's trying to hide the fact that she's all on her own in the world, while doing battle with a very bad guy. The working title is "Threat Level Amber" because her name is amber, and- taking a lot of cues from things her mom taught her about how the world works, and the book "The Art Of War", she becomes pretty formidable.
This weekend I got invited to a reading by an author I really admire. Her agent is the agent I want. I've had some online interaction with her, but I was stunned she actually remembers me and took the time to invite me personally. Can't wait to meet her in person!
It feels really good to be writing again and pulled into that world. But the other world is pulling too.
Art stuff is kind of simmering on the back burner. Next week I fire up the shop again. I have 2 commissions waiting, and a bunch of stuff to begin planning for the coming year. I'm going to approach things a little differently this time around. More on that later.
I'm still pretty heavily involved in grandma stuff. She's definitely in decline. It's weird, being at the end and knowing it. We talked about her trouble breathing yesterday. She said at night when she's having shortness of breath in bed she just tells herself to calm down. She knows it's not going to get better. She's afraid to leave her apartment because she knows even a common cold will kill her at this point. Her life is reduced to breathing, & food and water in and out, broken up by a lot of t.v. and a little reading.
It's come down to just trying to help her be as comfortable mentally and physically as possible while waiting around to die. Seeing this, and how helpless she's become, has made me think squirreling away a bunch of Ambien is an excellent idea. When I'm like, 125 and fading fast, I think it would also be an excellent time to take up heavy drinking.
Fire nipples
2 days ago
4 comments:
Your book sound cool.
That documentary looks right up my alley. I'll have to watch that somehow.
I watched a documentary about Pond Hockey (info here http://www.pondhockeymovie.com/) last week that was spectacular for me. It's even available to watch online. Anyhow, the first hockey I ever played was on ponds and man does that movie bring me back to that.
Sorry about your grandma. Being at the end and knowing it is a terror that would be very hard to deal with. It sounds like you are giving her much comfort.
Paul
Inspiration for creativity?! I'm on it! Go Sue! on the writing project. You've made headway and the story sounds solid.
p.s. You are sure on the spam hit list. I suppose they figure anyone reading your blog must want UGG boots...
Good luck with the writing!
I'm hanging out to see that doco, especially since it contains the guitarists from three of my favourite bands. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.
Struggling-
Thanks. Hopefully I'll stay on track w/ my outline. :) I saw a preview of the pond hockey one (it's huge up here) Looks cool.
Maery-
Thanks! I know. the spam is starting to really piss me off. I may have to resort to the little code words thing.
Briony-
You won't be sorry. :)
Post a Comment