Monday, August 17, 2009

Me in the big big world

Hey people. Dan has been gone for the last few days- fishing with my Dad, so I've been on my own.

I'm fine by myself. Some women get freaked-out, afraid etc, but to me it's like a mini vacation. I do whatever I want. It gets a little kideatingnothingbutpoptarts, like some nine year old who's parents aren't home, which is funny because it's not like Dan is in charge of me or anything when he is home. There's just something about having the whole place to myself that makes me feel kind of like being bad.

So there's been some deep dish pizza, and some m&m's, and some weighing myself and going, "Holy crap! What the eff am I doing!?" and some running and biking and eating of talapia and veggies and fruit. There's been some video double features, some writing, some staying up late reading (wow-- wild woman huh?), some hanging out with girlfriends-- pedaling and paddling and swimming in the river, and sitting around talking. I've also worked and got another commission done that came out really sweet. I have to admit, I miss having someone around to play fight with and tease relentlessly, and witness my weird antics. The cats are unphased by me kung-fu fighting in Pipi Longstocking braids and imitating John Luc Piccard.

He gets home tomorrow. Now I feel I've had my little pretending to be on my own vacation (assuming I'm someone who is on their own and has no interest in dating of course), but am really looking forward to him getting back, to the return of my normal life, because home is less homey without him.

In other SueNews:

Art stuff is going really good. I'm about to enter tiny branch production territory which some of you remember is really tedious and boring and I get really crabby about, but it is what it is-- high production mode. Still beats helping with a St. Bernard autopsy while super hung-over, or working in some third world country for some A-hole boss.

Mountain biking is getting better all the time. I'm slowly getting over my fear of downhills left over from my crash. I give myself little coaching talks as I go along which is hilarious. I pretend the voice in my head knows more than me and it sometimes works. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. Everything I tell myself is just stuff I'm figuring out on my own, but it kind of works. The latest tips I've been giving myself are, "You don't need your brakes going up hill, just grab the bars, ignore the brakes, and hammer," and, for going down bumpy hills, "Penny knows what to do. She's made for this. Just let her bounce, and stay in control."

I'm getting back to thinking it's really fun again. I think it will always feel like work, but that is part of the fun as weird as that sounds. It's always going to be a huge challenge for me.

8 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Sue: I so much admire your ability to push yourself and get the job done whether it be on your bike or doing your art. This is a great gift that some of us don't have. Having family away for a while really makes us appreciate what we have. So, all in all your a pretty cool girl!

JKB said...

I agree with Kim, you're fantabulous.

And I'm *so* happy we're buddies! I know you have TEH POWUR!!

XOXOX

Unknown said...

Kim & JKB--
Awe, Thanks for making me feel so much awesomer than I really am guys. Friends, net or RL I think can fortify us and make us feel teh power, wouldn't you agree? THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the alone time. I would be the same way. Sometimes it's nice to be on your own schedule and to be able to do your own thing without answering to anyone. I wouldn't want to do it forever, but every now and again.

courtney said...

Kim Smith totally said it.

So... DITTO, Kim Smith! :)

Unknown said...

Struggling--
Yeah, now that you're a save to a small completely selfish human I bet the idea is really appealing. The world and "you time" will still be here waiting when your duty lightens a bit. :)

Courtney-
Awe. (blushes)

Lynn said...

I love having alone time...it makes all the difference in the world. Enjoy! You're so creative ...gosh, I can't wait until your show. People keep throwing dates at me for this and that and I keep checking the calendar to see if it runs into the first part of October,..it doesn't help that I have no memory of actual dates!

Mary Olson said...

Yes, being on your own for awhile is fun. Being on your own indefinitely sucks.

Yeah, yeah, I'm on board with all the nice things people are saying about you but don't want to just like copy them so I'll be the negative, boo hoo, feeling sorry for myself person here. Because it is all about me. Isn't it?