Friday, August 7, 2009

The living and the dead

Hey people. Today I'm spending the day with a really good friend goofing off and probably laughing tons (and I'm going to love every minute of it), then we're going to my friend Iz's memorial service tonight. It's not really the service, it's that less formal thing-- the "viewing" or whatever. Either way we're going to make it formal-- the saying goodbye deal. What better song for today than Jolie Holland's "Mexico City" from her album "The living and the dead"? It's really beautiful-- I love her weird rural accent and drunky diction.




Yesterday was my first day alone for a long time, and the first day I wasn't directly under the deadline gun in a while, so I took a long lunch. I've been thinking more than ever about being alive. I think about stuff like that all the time, but lately with a couple of cool people I know dying it's been more present with me. I've been really aware of having a body, being in it, like a person test driving a sporty car. So what if I sing really loud and bad in the car? I like feeling sound coming out of me-- I have vocal chords, for now.

It was a good lunch-- I walked around in the river and got wet.


And found this little guy.


This morning I'm going for a little run in the cool rain with a friend's daughter in the magic woods. We're only here for a little while. Pay attention. Move all your parts. Fill your lungs to bursting. Don't sleep through it all.

10 comments:

Linda Thiltgen said...

Amen! Glad to have to you laugh and play with. ....and here for you, to cry if we have to as well. We'll make it a good day.

Anonymous said...

"We're only here for a little while. Pay attention. Move all your parts. Fill your lungs to bursting. Don't sleep through it all."

Amen to that. This cannot be said enough.

Love that little frog.

I've been thinking about these things lately. I'm at the age where all my grandparents are dying. I haven't been in "childhood" in a while, but this is definitely the end of the epilogue of that chapter.

I hope you get some laughs in with the tears tonight.

Unknown said...

Good post Sue. So long Isobel! I wish you a joyous journey on the other side!

JKB said...

WHOHOO! Glad you've got a good buddy you can chill with and have fun with.

That makes me happy. :')))

Mary Olson said...

Glad you got some off to just be. It sure has been a year. Lots of deep things to think about.

Unknown said...

Linda-
Back atcha.

Struggling-
I think always being aware of our mortality is something that can make us appreciate the time we do have, so long as we don't become morbid.

Jamie--
The pics of her were awesome- energetic and vibrant just like her.

JKB-
Thanks. Another of the ways I'm very lucky.

Mary--
Totally. Reflecting on all this is a luxury you don't have if you're dodging bullets or starving, so i guess we're lucky right?

Lynn said...

Abso-freakin-lutely

Anonymous said...

Sue: I know I have said this before but your blog is SO great. I love the songs you choose, your writing is always interesting and you make me laugh. Can't wait for your next post - I'm addicted. Hope you have a happy Monday.

Anonymous said...

OOPs, last comment left by Kim Smith.

courtney said...

I love this entry. And the frog! Oh man! He is SO little!!! Awww!