Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wheelin' Wed

Hey people. So, um-- It's begun, my fantasizing about what a super-star I'll turn into this year.

I can't WAIT until the trail is ride-able again (probably not for a few more weeks). I've been walking around over there all winter, and have run a few times too, when conditions permitted. Now that the snow is melting I'm scoping out stuff that gave me problems last year, trying to figure out how this year, I'm going to conquer those features.

Naturally, in my head, it's not as hard as in real life. Remember this ad-- for "Marvel The Mustang"? (Yes-- I am super old.) The quality sucks, but see if it rings a bell.



I wanted one of those SO BAD you guys. I was about 4 when this ad aired, and I could so picture myself galloping along, the wind in my hair...

Over the winter I've occupied myself with looking at what amounts to porn for me online-- MTB videos on youtube, trying to learn whatever tips I can. I got it into my head a couple weeks ago one thing I'd learn this year, you know, in addition to flying over jumps etc, is doing a bunny hop. I actually convinced myself I'd go down to the garage and get on Penny and hop her around all over the place. At last it would be like having my very own Marvel The Mustang!

Not surprisingly, ~fail~. But I did at least practice bad track stands. Hey, got to start somewhere! You know you've got it bad when you're hanging out in your garage wearing snow boots goofing around on your bike, dreaming of summer.

I've been trying to dig up some girls to ride with on the MTB forum. I've had a tiny bit of luck. There are a few friendly gals around, but we're vastly out-numbered. I have this fantasy of getting all the girl riders together, like a secret biking bootcamp out in the woods, and trying to learn to do all the tricks the guys seem able to do without even trying-- wheelies, jumps, hops, etc. It would be so cool to be able to do all that stuff!! (and make it look as easy as they do.)

Maybe I need to get one of these.



Oh well. When the season gears up we'll see how far I get this year. In the meantime-- I dug out Hula (otherwise known as the dork bike) a couple days ago and me and T-Pam went for our first pavement ride. What a psych session! I couldn't help whooping it up and ringing my bell constantly like a giant spaz.

Kind of like with skiing, everything feels different now, after taking up mountain biking. The hills I used to get all tall on and ride the break, nervous-- I now get into attack position on, and hover low over the bike and accelerate down. Yeeee-freaking-HA!

Whoa-- time to weld! Later people-- Hey-- What are you guys getting psyched about? Will this be the best summer ever or what? What are some fun things coming up on your calendars?

5 comments:

Kari Lynn Dell said...

I found a rodeo to enter. Now I just have to find the funds and convince the hubby what an excellent idea it is.

Heidi the Hick said...

So I just watched the wheelie bar ad with Bucky... and now he's just announced he's off to go 4 wheelin... should I be concerned? haha!

Man, the good old days! I totally love those bikes and I miss getting on my bike bareheaded and barefooted. Of course being on a farm with a gravel laneway didn't help things. I'd go visit my grandma in town and ride down the sidewalks. I was on training wheels for what seemed like forever.

ok now that Bucky's out the door - you know those shots of kids with their feet on the bike seat and stuff? That's him. Seriously, I'd go to pick him up at school and spend a good half hour with all the othermothers freaking out that he was such a daredevil while he zoomed around.

My girl was always totally law abiding.

Is it a testosterone thing????

Unknown said...

Kari-
Hee! I'm in the same mode, trying to convince Dan (who's not into racing AT ALL) how fun it could be to come cheer me on.

Heidi-
I hope it's not a testosterone thing or I am in big trouble! But seriously-- i think it kind of is. They don't think what could go wrong, or they do in terms of it maybe hurting, but not like, paralyzing them for life etc like we girls imagine.

I'm getting less and less scared, which is weird considering how much of last summer I spent bruised-up and wrecked. The fun is too addicting!

Maery Rose said...

How do you find this stuff? I totally lusted after Marvel the Mustang. OK, maybe that sounds really wrong but you know what I mean.

I have so many places I want to travel to this summer. Too bad the funds and vacation time have limits. And I want to camp. And I can't wait to go trail riding. Too many things and not enough summer...

Kris Decker said...

Sadly, I was too old for Marvel the Mustang when he came out BUT I do remember him provoking a longing for my youth tempered with a measure of regret and sentimentality that only a wizened and mature eight year old is capable of feeling. Pfffffft. Oh, the good old days. I miss putting playing cards in the spokes of my bike, the fringe from the handle bars and the sissy bar and banana seat on my cool-ass Schwinn. God, I was so awesome then!