Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'd have to change careers...

Hey people. That's what I'd basically have to do to get my blog to look as cool in real life as it does in my head. Even the mock up below- (click to enlarge) doesn't fully encapsulate the coolage.

I'd settle for something like above, but it would be even cooler if some of the weird crap laying around the edges of my sketchbook could contain video panes, or were changeable pictures, or I could stick random post-its around whenever I felt like it, that had or didn't have links embedded.

Oh well. What I'd like to do is at least fix my stupid header so the picture of the slaghammer is in place of the green banner that has always been there-- and have it actually fit etc, and maybe have some words underneath the picture too. (Like the bit about "suck it brits". Seriously, if you knew how many UK hits I get...)

I'd also like to put pics in the sides instead of just the boring white space-- or light grey or whatever. I spent hours online looking up blogger template fixes and tips but couldn't get any to work. (I have a feeling I suck at this stuff.) My code never matched any of the stuff they were showing so I'd try to improvise and ~fail~. If anyone knows how to do any of this-- help!

See, I'm old school. I never learned any computer art apps. I came up drawing, you know, on regular old paper. I spent hours on this when I was a kid. As you can see, horses and models were favorite subjects. I'm glad I kept lots of this stuff.

This is my rockstar niece Megan. (She got her first goal in soccer this weekend. Woot Megan!) Isn't she gorgeous? She sometimes says she wants to be an artist like me when she grows up. ~Beams~ There are few things like that feeling of being completely pulled into the rabbit hole of your work-- your own world. She gets it. God help her.

I have to admit- the art has been kicking my butt lately. Or I've been kicking my own butt more accurately. I have a show in 5 weeks now. I basically burned the last two weeks farting around and deciding I'd much rather work on my writing than art (or go grocery shopping, or hike around in the woods, or just about anything besides get to work.)

It's now officially too muddy & melty to ride the trail, which wasn't working so well for me in winter anyway, so I'm reduced to planning summer rides. I've burned hours farting around doing this too. No one can procrastinate like me. I'm an expert. Thank God someone invented the internet to really enhance this skill.

Friday I actually managed to frame-out a human face though, so game on. I have a couple images in my head of women I'd like to make. I can't even draw well enough to sketch them properly, so making this face is going to be kind of like reading brail or something. Having images stuck in your head that you can't pull into physical reality quite yet is a bit like being constipated.

I think I'm about to go all fire hose. Sometimes I feel just like this before a big flurry of new work. I hope so because I'm getting kind of twitchy.

I'm actually writing all this Sunday, so Monday morning I can presumably "fire right up" and get to work. (Yes- I managed to fart around all weekend too.) Here's what went on:

Dan and I went shopping. Trader Joe's (Damn you Lacy's cookies. Damn you!), REI, Kohl's, Target, DSW. Believe it or not-- I got 3 belts for $15-- & that's it. Dan went a bit nuts. Got a cool jacket for $9, and kayaking shoes which he did need.

My new mountain bike shorts came in the mail feeding into my whole fantasizing about summer thing. (I seriously thought they'd be "goal" shorts-- like, "Now I REALLY need to lose 10lbs, but they fit now! Woohoo!) I modeled them for Dan with an array of possible belts from my awesome on sale belt finds. This led to a sundress fashion show, complete with fancy twirls & hammy posing. There was also a tiny amount of leaping.

Sat night we had a double feature (hubs was supposed to play poker, but decided to stay home and hang out with me *win*) (Come on-- how could he NOT want to? After the big fashion show etc)-- We saw "Carriers" (okay, not great) and "Moon" (really cool if you like classic, Ray Bradbury-esque, sci-fi.)

Dropped one of the suby's off for windshield replacement/body work. (just a long overdue fix). Thrills! (not)

Spent hours trying to figure out blog fixes, only to get all frustrated and re-dye blue hair streak instead.

Hubs split a bunch more wood like the modern day lumberjack he is. In a couple days when it dries out we'll stack it all, like ma and pa freaking Ingalls, because this is how we heat our house. (another reason to look forward to spring.)

Wow- this post should have been called "random, not very interesting details from Sue's life." I guess I better get up to some hijinx to entertain you guys pretty soon, or at least make some art to put up pics of!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting the blog to look like what we have in our heads is, well...probably not even possible ; )....and a little crazy making. Hey I LOVE the slaghammer photo front and center...looks very cool!
A sundress show...you are pining for spring!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yeah- the typing going real well so far this morning. Let's try again.

Lynn-
Thanks. As for sundresses, if it's not going to be winter, where there's actual snow to have fun on, I'd just as soon it dry up.
As for the blog-- arg. Sick of fooling with it. My template doesn't seem to like to accept html tweaks.

Anonymous said...

"She sometimes says she wants to be an artist like me when she grows up."

That's so awesome!

I could help you in the HTML department, possibly. You can email me if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

Paul

Unknown said...

Oh Paul,
You're teh BEST. I may take you up on that, after I get some actual work done to justify playing around with the blog more. ;)

Kim Smith said...

This must be the time of year for procrastination. I am staring at 150 small art pieces for Artfest (in 2 weeks) and I haven't even started. Supposed to be teaching Zentangle classes, haven't done any! If you find the cure, please let me know! Want to go to procrastinators rehab together?

Maery Rose said...

I like the new header. I would love to make some changes to my blog but I'm putting off the frustration of trying to do so right now.

What you are going through seems to be your art cycle. I think you're just building up steam.

p.s. The house showing this weekend, they thought the light fixtures were outdated and if I'm not going to replace them, I should at least clean them. Ouch! People can be so mean!

Unknown said...

Kim-
I haven't discovered any secret other than to begin. Deadlines also do wonders.

Maery-
That was a stupid remark for your house-lookers to make. for one thing- no need to be nasty, for another-- "the light fixtures are outdated?" REALLY? Like that isn't an easy fix if they liked everything else. It sounds like they were just being tools.

Anonymous said...

Just let me know :)

Brianne said...

You could always use something like this, just for now, until you get the HTML help! http://www.bloggerthemes.net/2009/12/memorybook.html